Happy Holidays! Feels good to say that... for a lot of reasons. First, of course, the semester is over and we can all take a well deserved break! Now that's reason enough to be joyous!
Second, the headlines across the land are heralding the fact that the last of our troops are home from Iraq for the Holidays this year! Regardless of ones position on the war, or the need for this war, we have reason to proud of the women and men who responded when asked to serve, and so often sacrificed beyond our ability to imagine. Hopefully, we'll soon be able to say the same about our troops in Afghanistan as well. Again, a great reason to be joyful!
Third, the economy is, perhaps only rolling along the bottom, but it doesn't appear to be getting worse. I'm hesitant to think that the good news that we received this week about housing, consumer spending, the stock market and unemployment are reasons to be joyous (yet), but at least all of these indicators are finally moving in the right direction and we have reason to be a bit more hopeful about the upcoming year.
Finally, I'm heartened by all the reports of widespread giving to those in need this Holiday Season. Apparently the surge in support, especially volunteer support, is greater than we've seen in memorable history. Too many folks have been down for too long because of the downturn in the economy. It so wonderful to see so many people willing to step up and share their gifts and talents as we work our way through these dreadful economic times. Here, too, I'm back to joyful!
The world of Higher Education is going through a lot of changes as a result of the increasingly global nature of the world economy, the advances in the Web, and Web 2.0 and so much more in the technology world. We all have so much more to learn about and share with one another as the world seems to be turning faster as it grows smaller. What an incredible time to be in Higher Education. Challenging but so promising. We have reason to be fascinated, and joyful for the wonder of it all!
I could go on, but I'm hoping that I've given you some rich food for thought as you ponder your Holiday Season with your friends, family and loved ones. I do hope that you will respond to this blog and let us know what your thoughts are for this Holiday Seasons.
Wishing you and yours a Joyous Holiday Season and an especially enlightening New Year!
Tom
No comments:
Post a Comment